Thursday, February 4, 2010

And One for my Homies...

I'm a huge Oscar nerd. I've been so since I was in Junior High. And I also have a vagina. This pretty much makes me root for my fellow vaginas when they get nominated in categories that vaginas tend to be overlooked in, namely Best Director.
So imagine my delight when I found out a fellow vagina, Kathryn Bigalow, has been nominated for best director this year for her work on The Hurt Locker. I'm sure you're all asking yourself "Umm Cins....yeah that's great but what the Hell does this have to do with Creepy Kitch?"
Well folks, turns out that Ms. Bigalow directed one of the BEST vampire films of all time (and my favorite) Near Dark! Awww yeah baby! She also directed the extremely weird and short lived series "Wild Palms" as well as the creepy Sci-Fi film Strange Days....and Point Break but I can forgive her for Point Break.
Anyways, Congrats to you Kathryn Bigalow! Not only are you a fellow vagina but you did a damn fine job on Near Dark!
No go kick James Cameron's ass!

Also want to give a shout out to some other horror/cult film Alumni who got Noms this year.

  • Woody Harrelson, my favorite guy from Zombieland has been nominated for Best supporting Actor...not for Zombieland though (zombies are still being snubbed by the Oscars it seems).
  • District 9 has been nominated for Best Picture and is the one I'm rooting for. It won't win but damn it it was good! Inglorious Basterds is my other choice because it rocked and Eli Roth was strangely hot in it. (I discovered he is not short like I always thought he was. I always thought he was pixie sized).
  • Quentin Tarantino is nominated for best director for Inglorious Basterds, the crazy bastard who brought us Grindhouse, Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2, and various other movies involving blood and body parts.
  • Christoph Waltz is nominated for best supporting actor and he freakin' deserves it. He was amazing in Inglorious Basterds.

You can see the full list of Noms here.

It is a good Oscar year for geeks for sure!

No comments: